Park Ridge Football: A Deeper Meaning

The Owls took the turf for the first game this year on Friday, September 8th.  So many excited students, parents, and staff, dressed for the blackout, came out to see the boys take the field.

When people were asked the same general question,  “what does football mean to you and why do you love coming to the games?”,  several different answers filled with optimism were given.  High school juniors, Kailey Flaherty and Amanda Mulligan, said, “football means school spirit and everyone coming together!”  Ms. Katelyn Saxton, choir teacher, said, “it’s nice to see the students in a different light; not in the classroom but excelling on the field and in the marching band and the color guard and out on the squad so it’s really nice to see everyone outside the classroom and see what they’re passionate about and see them being successful.”

New students, Pim and Wouter Schuit, moved here all the way from Amsterdam!  The brothers were very excited about their very first football game. Pim explained“ …it’s really new, we never had this in the Netherlands before.”  Wouter agreed and stated, “[he] liked it very much.”  This was an unforgettable experience for the brothers.

Former Park Ridge High School, Mia Nuciforo, was also at the game. Mia’s perspective was completely different from many others. She stressed her desire to hang out and spend time with former classmates. Mia said, “I like seeing people… I’m not really in it for the football but it’s a good time.”  Sixth grader, Matthew Constante, expressed similar feelings about his interest in Park Ridge football. He loves attending the games, “because a lot of my friends are here and it is interesting to watch them.”

Coach David Evans is one of our new teachers, replacing the retired Mr. Crandall.  He said many things about how it was nice to see all of the students come out and support the team and show lots of school spirit.

Many seniors came out as well.  High school senior, Julia Duardo, said how much she loved seeing everyone come together over a common interest. Seventh graders were there as well, perhaps experiencing their first ever PRHS football game. Many commented on how much they loved the positive environment and the excitement of the game.

We may have lost the first game to Bogota, but an enjoyable ride still lies ahead for PRHS Football.