PRHS Students Participate in Local Halfway Hounds Event

What better way to support your community by running around the block with your family and your dog! On Sunday, September 15th, 2019, the community of Park Ridge gathered at the town pool to run in the Halfway Hounds 5K to support the Halfway Hounds organization and the Park Ridge Rotary Club. Halfway Hounds is a New Jersey volunteer-based rescue organization determined to give dogs a second chance at life or as they like to say, “a new leash on life!” Rotary is an organization made up of professional leaders who provide humanitarian service, not just to their community but, worldwide! Park Ridge Rotary encourages the community to give back, while making friendships that will last a lifetime. The purpose for the 5K was to get everyone in the community, even the dogs, involved in helping find new homes for the Halfway Hound puppies.

One of the projects the Park Ridge Rotary supports is the Park Ridge High School Interact Club and at this year’s 5K, I, along with other fellow students got to volunteer and see what the run was all about. I personally got to meet all of the dogs up for adoption and some dogs who have become a permanent part of families of Park Ridge, due to Halfway Hounds.

I spoke with Beth Gillies, the president of Halfway Hounds, and all of the volunteers that have helped their dogs. “I am a part of the Halfway Hounds 5K because it’s a small and simple way to give back to the community. It raises money for homeless dogs and provides scholarships for children, two things that warm my heart,” explained Gillies. Dutchess, Samantha, and Marshal were the three dogs up for adoption on the day of the 5K.

I am a part of the Halfway Hounds 5K because it’s a small and simple way to give back to the community. It raises money for homeless dogs and provides scholarships for children, two things that warm my heart

— Beth Gillies, President of Halfway Hounds

They got to meet me, and many fellow students and families of Park Ridge who were captured by their cuteness. Jaime Mitrani, one of the volunteers explained to me, “Their terrific dogs who need a break and are looking for a second chance at life. It’s such a terrific organization because it helps dogs to find a new home.” The dogs truly could not have been friendlier to me and all of the runners.

Halfway Hounds looks for events like these in our local community in order to stir up buzz about their dogs. The volunteers want nothing more than to give their dogs new homes and families but they need your help. You can research and contact halfway hounds at their website https://www.halfwayhounds.org/ or if you happen to be at an event, such as the 5K, in the future tag them in your Instagram posts or give them a shout-out on Facebook. Halfway Hounds along with their dogs are eternally grateful for your contributions and look forward to you bringing joy to their animals.